Monday 31 January 2011

An oriental feel

i decided I wanted to do something a little different for a change and as there are a couple of challenges with an oriental theme in honour of the up coming Chinese new year I decided I'd have a play and see what I could do. I was surprised at how many oriental style stamps I actually have , from the stampman, simon says and some kits from QVC too. I didn't want to do a card so decided I'd alter one of the plain note books I bought for keeping notes about different challenges in, you know if I don't write it down?

I didn't fancy using a person so went with this cute Panda from Simon says along with some bamboo that I used to create a bottom frame from The Stampman. I stamped the panda in just black whispers dye ink and the bamboo he is eating I coloured with sakura pen. The bamboo leaves I stamped with 3 different green inks and then cut around the top edge and tucked the Panda behind on the book front. The top space looked quite bare and rather than leaving it or adding some text I used a blossom stamp that is Judikins from stamp addicts and the lanterns are again from the simon says set. The blossoms I coloured with promarkers and the lanterns again with sakuras and then just stuck them on. I stamped a sentiment from a gardening set also by the Stampman over the bamboo leaves, not actually oriental but I think it has the same kind of profoundness.

I have to say I love the look it has given the book it feels quite relaxing when I look at it probably all the soft colours and the cuddly looking Panda.

I would like to enter this into the following challenges:-

The Stampman-oriental
Sentimental sunday-oriental/Asia
daring cardmakers-oriental or rabbits
Simon says-animal antics
rainbow lady-use a bear

12 comments:

Rainbow Lady said...

Julye this is wonderful - you could also enter it or similar for my next week's challenge..... but don't tell anyone about it yet..... hehe Thanks for sharing Love Cynthia x

Lynda said...

This is beautiful Julye - the blossom is so pretty and I love the cute little Panda. Thanks for joining in with Daring Cardmakers.

Lynda xxx

ElizabethR said...

Fab I love it - I'm a Panda girl myself thank you for sharing with us at Rainbow Lady's challenge this week. Elizabeth x

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Beautiful selection of stamps Julye, and they are perfect for the Oriental theme. The altered book is a very useful keepsake.
Thank you for joining us at Sentimental Sundays this week. Hugs, Sylvia xxx
PS: Nice to see another Yorkshire girl in blogland!

Hazel (Didos) said...

Ahh he made me go ahh at him what a sweet wee panda bear. Love the card its super. That sentiment is great. Thanks for playing on Rainbow Ladys Challenge this week Hazelxoxo

Kathy said...

Beautiful Oriental page. Thanks for helping The Daring Cardmakers celebrate the Chinese New Year this week

Jen said...

Very oriental feel to this lovely card. The panda is a great idea. Thank you for joining in with Rainbow Lady's challenge this week.
Jen x

Anonymous said...

This is just adorable, I love it!! Thanks for sharing with us at Sentimental Sundays!!

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous to alter a notebook with such a lovely design.
Thanks for sharing it with us at the Stamp Man.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Christine said...

Fabulous card Juyle, I am an oriental fan too, super idea to alter a notebook. Thanks for joining us at Rainbow Lady's Challenge this week. Hope we see you next week
Christine x

Vixykins said...

OMG how brave are you cutting the branches out lol! What a simply gorgeous design hun, well done!

Thank You for entering The Stampman Challenge, hope to see you again x

Lisa M. (aka. Lisa @ Farm Fresh) said...

oh this is so fabulous! I love it!

Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays!

Lisa